Chocolatey and healthy gingerbread cookies
Wish you could eat gingerbread cookies every day for the entire holiday season? Me too! That’s why I tried a simple and healthier recipe of cookies you can enjoy more often and guilt free! I also added extra dark chocolate because, you know, chocolate is love!
Nothing makes me happier than Christmas songs and movies mixed to the smell of fresh baked ginger brad in the air and a cozy atmosphere warmed by an old style Christmas tree and fairy lights!
This season is just so magical that I might easily still believe Santa Claus really exists, and unicorns too.
One of my favorite parts of the holiday season is all the cinnamon flavored drinks and treats, above all gingerbread, who doesn’t love it? And let’s be honest, I could it those cookies every single morning, but I’m no big fun of sugars and butter, that’s why I tried an easy healthier recipe that you can make vegan or not 🙂
- 320g whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 5 tsp unsweetened cacao
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- a pinch of salt
- 100g coconut oil
- 80g melted coconut sugar
- 80g honey or maple syrup
- 1 egg or 1 flax seed egg (2 and 1/2 tsp ground flax seed and 3 tbsp water, whisk together and wait 10 minutes).
- extra dark (over 70%) dark chocolate
- Mix all the dry ingredients together
- Combine coconut oil, sugar and egg together in a mixing bowl
- Add the second mixture to the first one. Mix everything together
- When you get a nice, slightly sticky dough, make a disc and place it in the oven for 5 minutes
- Preheat the oven at 180°C.
- Roll out the dough on a floured working surface and cut the cookies with a cookie cutter
- Bake for 5/7 minutes
- Break chocolate and place into a heatproof bowl. Sit over a pan of barely simmering water (a bain marie) and allow the chocolate to melt, stirring occasionally
- Dip one cookie at a time (or half of it) into the melted chocolate.
- Get creative and use your favorite decorations.
And now enjoy your cookies with your favorite winter drink (mine are chai latte and chocolate flavored black tea) and invite over your loved ones, everything tastes better when shared!